Glass Baby Feeding Bottles
Advantages & Disadvantages
Glass baby feeding bottles are back! Do you know why? It's because they are safe! They do not leach chemicals like BPA (bisphenol A), a hormone disruptor. In fact, most plastic baby bottles are made of polycarbonate that leach BPA.
Exposure to any amount of BPA can result in:
- Decreased sperm count
- Early puberty
- Brain development problems
From what I have read, research studies are still being conducted, and experts seem to have conflicting views on this issue.
Manufacturers of plastic bottles are trying to tell us that they are safe and meet federal regulations. Doesn't that show you that they are more concerned with protecting their unsafe products instead of our children? It seems manufacturers may be using outdated regulations to protect themselves. But in the end, I am not willing to take any risks with my baby.
Here are some additional tips:
- Do not purchase any containers or bottles that are made of polycarbonate plastic (could be labeled PC or #7)
- Bottles that have PVC should also be avoided - since they may contain phthalates (labeled #3)
- Do not buy baby formula or food from cans
- Avoid heating your babies food up in the microwave using polystyrene or plastics
Let's look at some of the obvious advantages and disadvantages in switching over to glass baby bottles.
Let's start with the Disadvantages:
- Glass bottles cost more than plastic
- Glass bottles without protective padding can break (therefore supervision is required)
Here are the main Advantages:
- Glass bottles are BPA-free and therefore SAFER
- They can be sterilized, microwaved, without any concern of chemicals leaching
What can we say by comparing the disadvantages with the advantages? I think we all know the answer. We should choose glass baby feeding bottles over plastic. Even if they cost a little bit more. If we choose the ones that have a protective cover, then they won't break. Ultimately, the choice is yours.
Leaching of harmful chemicals is also an issue in traditional baby mattresses. The organic crib mattress
industry is growing and prospering as a result.
This shows that we as parents have to be extremely informed and on top of current events and changes. From how to choose a safe crib mattress to switching to safer baby bottles.
It's the least we can do for our precious little ones. These safe baby bottles can also be very thoughtful gifts for baby showers. The bottom line, BPA free glass baby bottles are simply safer. I don't know about you, but when it comes to my baby, I always go with what's safe. One of the brands we chose to use was the Evenflo baby bottles.
Glass Baby Feeding Bottles to Home Page